Many household maintenance issues can be avoided by taking preventative measures. Here are some common household issues that you can hopefully avoid by doing the following:
- Plumbing -
- Soft clogs are often caused by too much toilet paper at one time in the toilet and feminine products being flushed down the toilet. Invest in a plunger.
- If you have long hair, consider getting a screen for the shower drain
- Garbage disposals -
- Use a strong flow of cold water when using the disposal
- Turn the unit on before adding food waste
- Let the water run for 90 seconds after grinding is completed to flush all waste away
- Make sure no silverware, large bones, glass, or plastic fall into the disposal
- Don't pack waste into the disposal
- Don't turn off the motor until grinding is complete
- Don't add waste until both water and disposal are on
- Don't put stringy or fibrous materials (onion skins, artichokes, shrimp shells, etc.) in the disposal
- Remember to report small problems right away to your property manager before they turn into larger problems that cost you!
- Water Usage
- Make sure you and your roommate(s) are aware of the water ordinances for your particular neighborhood. Some neighborhoods can only water the yards on certain days of the week/offer limited water per household. Check with your landlord!
- For more information, go to http://www.slocity.org/government/department-directory/utilities-department/conservation/current-drought-information/drought-regulations
- Smoke Detectors
- Hearing a beeping noise coming from the ceiling? It is most likely the smoke detectors. Replace the batteries immediately.